Skills Programme – 17174
134 Credits at NQF Level 2
A qualifying learner who has achieved this qualification will be able to create and conduct a short-guided experience, based on local natural and cultural resources, that entertains and informs visitors. This qualification will enable the learner to be a competent guide operating within a local area. A qualifying learner will provide quality experiences to tourists and thus strengthen the profession and tourism in general. In addition they will be positioned to further their learning, practice and career within the guiding sector, through, among others, the support and teamwork of members of the guiding sector – either at further levels or in other areas of practice.
A qualified learner will be able to:
- Conduct a guided experience within a specific area that entertains and educates tourists by interpreting cultural and natural environments.
- Research, use and plan an itinerary themselves.
- Present authentic, balanced interpretation of general aspects of South African society as well as specific sites and resources.
- Apply procedures to protect the social and cultural integrity of the host communities.
- Supply appropriate alternatives to problems and constraints, taking into account issues such as the constraints of the facilities, tourist expectations, and the requirements of the host community.
- Apply a range of presentation techniques appropriate to the audience, context and client profile.
- Monitor, reflect on and improve the content of the guided experience, their own performance and what they have learned about themselves